In the build up for The Island we managed to grab an interview with some of the cast members. The following interview is with actor Joe Shire, who is playing the role of John and has generously given us a bit of his time to answer the burning questions that we've been itching to ask him and to share not only with us but with you, our audience, a little insight of the production he's involved with.
Joe Shire – Male actor Joe is one of the main two actors in the theatre performance, The Island. Joe is performing as one of the two main characters in the Island Theatre tour. His character in the play is called John.
- What was the first performance you were involved in and what was your role?
My first performance was in Twelfth Night at secondary school. I played Duke Orsino and we won a competition!
- What inspired you to do what you do?
I’ve always enjoyed stories, listening and telling them and being the youngest of 10, the stage was the place to do it.
- Theatre or cinema?
Theatre, no cinema. Actually at home with wine and Netflix.
- What's the last book you read?
The Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyeran.
- Last place you went for a holiday?
Cape Cod, beautiful beaches.
- Who’s voice would you choose for your sat-nav?
Mine! Have you heard it?
- What new skill would you like to learn?
To play the harp or a cello.
- Is it true that blondes have more fun?
- What would you tell your 13 year old self?
Be sure of yourself, you’re a lovely young man!
- What would you say about The Island to others?
I would say The Island is a play about 2 men and their struggle to survive as political prisoners on an Island prison.
- Describe The Island in three words.
Resistance, Power, Dignity.
- What advice would you give others who want to start acting?
There is no right way to do it. Read all the plays available to you. Go and see as much as you can in the theatre- any theatres have schemes that will help you get tickets at a discounted rate! (If you don’t fall into any category, talk to them and ask why, maybe you can help them become more accessible.) Remember, theatre and the arts are for everyone, so use your nearest theatre and keep creating!
For information on tickets please follow the following link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-island-at-pill-mill-tickets-51103329434. All ticket purchases will include food on the night and promises to be an entertaining evening for all!